Thursday, October 24, 2013

race, religion, money, children, where should I start?!!!!!!

Uffffffff
If you want people to like you, don't be too loud on sensitive issues, such as politics, race, religion,etc.....including but not restricted to the known grounds for discrimination. We all fight it in theory, but than sometimes keep mum at the wrong time...
Before getting into this (these).... I m as normal as the next person, I m A skin color, not relevant to me being humble or heartless, I am Christian but God is goodness, any name He has, I have to pull a few strings for getting my car back from the mechanic tomorrow, and I try to be a good parent, even if I just ignored two or three of Brandon's questions before bed tonight. 
I heard this story about this black young man, from someone that used to know him pretty well. And this young man got his girlfriend pregnant and here they are with a child and no real prospects, all made worse by him selling drugs. Not the best scenario. But my argument here, without knowing the man, is that I do believe anyone can turn his life around, at any age, no matter the present conditions. 
Its not easy. I m the first to agree. Nothing is easy and drugs and no education makes it hard indeed. 
But I choose to believe in that person, as much as I d believe in my brother, if that was the case. What makes it really hard for him is not as much his own misery, as how the people around him are treating him and "welcoming" him around. We appreciate all the superficialities of life: a person's skin color, either here in Ireland, or in America, the free-est land on earth! A beautiful pale skin blue eyed person is seen as more intelligent, kinder, it's a demonstrated fact, unfortunately. 
And what future can they give their child?! well, I agree, exposure to drugs is bad. Nothing justifies selling drugs, still the child does not have to be necessarily exposed to that. That child could still grow a happy person, if there s no violence in the house, if his parents love each other against all odds. Too many people nowadays believe happiness grows around fancy cars and huge houses.  My point is children can be happy and become strong no matter the size of their bedroom. Both parents could work in McDonald and their kids feel loved like many others in richer family never do. 
At the moment this father is pretty much defined by his occupation: drug dealer. Hopefully he ll realize that and choose to be defined as a father, become an example for his child. I do believe you can change your life around at any age. His present situation merely shows his starting point, not how far he can reach. I wish I could tell him that. We all carry our own cross, and at the moment his is heavier. And sometimes all we need is to realize someone else believes in us, someone sees the good in us, the goodness that only God is capable of seeing no matter how much we sin. 
  I experienced discrimination myself a few times, don't we all? But I chose to forget about it and not treat the next person with the frustration I got to feel as a result of that. I choose to talk as much as I can with my child around these realities of the world we live in, and help him grow a better person than maybe I am. I believe in " be the change you wish to see in the world" (in "others", and that includes yourself)


this subject will be back of course 

No comments: